Green Design Kandle Heeter

Published on January 16th, 2008 | by Sarah Nagy

Turn a Candle Into a Radiator

Kandle HeeterToday is a cold, wet dreary day. Which inspired me to dig the Kandle Heeter out of the garage.

Parked next to my mouse, this little device brings the temperature of my 8×12 office up from shivery to cozy – not quite enough to take my lovely handknit wool socks off, but a great antidote against a dreary January, and a definite cat magnet.How it works: That top terracotta pot is actually a nest of several, spaced with metal bolts. Heat rises from the candle and then absorbs into the ceramic, which is a high ‘thermal lag’ material. High thermal lag materials are dense and heavy – tile, concrete, water – all of these store heat well. The pots won’t hold it forever, but they concentrate it, slowing down its exodus to the ceiling. They keep the heat near my mouse hand – which definitely increases my productivity!

The developer says a 3″ dia. by 3″ ‘dollar store’ candle will yield about 50 BTUs an hour, for a total of 1000 BTU. I get about two days per candle, so that’s 0.50/day. If all my winter days were wet, cold, and in need of paraffin cheer (sum total of mid-Dec thru March = 105 days), that’s about $50 for a heating season. And it smells nice.

Granted, I live in mostly sunny Northwest Florida, so my heating bill is pretty small compared with snowy places. But this one with the silly name is one of those ‘value added’ ideas – if I’m going to burn a Christmas gift candle, I may as well get full value.

(Check out their other nifty ideas: using an incandescent light bulb instead of a candle, and other open-architecture common-sense energy concepts.)

UPDATE: Here’s a podcast interview with inventor Doyle Doss. (Ed. note: Max tells us the podcast isn’t there anymore, but he’s reposted it at http://www.thelindbergreport.org.)

Tags:

About the Author

Sarah Nagy is a residential architect, practicing on the Gulf Coast of Florida.

32 Responses to Turn a Candle Into a Radiator

1. shea says:

I love candles.

2. shea says:

I love candles.

3. Pingback: |.::Ecodesign: come riscaldarsi con una candela in ufficio durante queste grigie e umide giornate d'inverno::.|Greendesign,efficienza energetica,scaldarsi in ufficio |

4. Noelle says:

Their Veg-A-Lot Insulated Growhouse looks really cool — especially for the freezing east coast. Could be a cool idea for restaurants, to grow their own herbs and veggies year round.

5. Noelle says:

6. Max says:

Thanks for featuring Doyle and his products. I interviewed him months ago as part of the Green Options “Greening the Golden Years Podcast” series.

7. Max says:

8. Max says:

Boy, am I embarrassed! Thanks for linking to the podcast, unfortunately, it isn’t there anymore because of the expansion of Green Options. However, as an interim measure, I have posted the podcast at http://www.thelindbergreport.org.

9. Max says:

10. Dito says:

Great Find, thanks so much, I am going to attempt to build one of these myself

11. Dito says:

Great Find, thanks so much, I am going to attempt to build one of these myself

12. Pingback: Our Earthship » Turn a Candle Into a Radiator

13. Maritzia says:

What a great idea! I burn candles all the time because I like the smell. I can warm up the house at the same time! Well…the bathroom anyway.

14. Maritzia says:

15. Joe says:

A furnace is about 106 times as cost efficient as that candle. Of course its kind of hard to just heat your hand with a furnace. I googled BTUs per dollar and found that at 80% efficiency (typical for a GFA furnace) I can get 106,667 BTUs for a dollar. Your candle gets 1,000 BTUs for a dollar. Another way to look at it–how warm would your room be if you had 106 candles burning in it? That’s how many you could buy for the price of a gas furnace.

16. Joe says:

17. richard says:

I wish I had thought of this when I was a kid – I remember doing homework with an angle poised lamp over my had so that it was warm enough to hold my pen and I could see what I was writing.
    Buy local organic candles (is there such a thing?) and this is a WINNER!

18. richard says:

Buy local organic candles (is there such a thing?) and this is a WINNER!

19. Stu says:

Candles do not release more heat when a clay pot is overhead. It takes energy to produce clay pots. This is not green, it is as brown as the upside down pot.

20. Stu says:

21. flxblflyr says:

ROFL. I’m impressed with Doyle. Apparently he has most of you hook line and sinker. This ‘radiator’ does nothing at all- except maybe delay the trivial heat the candle releases. But the talk! the look! the style! is so… green! Too bad you all quit thinking (and learning about the physical world works) in exchange for feelings. That surrender leaves you sitting ducks for nonsense like this. Light a local organic collective herbal candle if you want, and put it under this goofy hat if it makes you feel better, but don’t congratulate yourselves- you haven’t done anything.

22. flxblflyr says:

23. scentsy says:

Candles are the easiest way to create instant romance. The music can be perfect and the food divine, but if the bright lights are on, the feeling is less magical and romantic. Romantically, the warm glow of candles caresses our senses and softens our silhouettes, creating an atmosphere of love. They stimulate our senses by softening the outside distractions that lamps and other bright lights produce.

24. scentsy says:

25. which is a high ââ,¬Ëoethermal lag’ material. High thermal lag materials are dense and heavy – tile, concrete, water – all of these store heat well. The pots won’t hold it forever,

26. which is a high ââ,¬Ëoethermal lag’ material. High thermal lag materials are dense and heavy – tile, concrete, water – all of these store heat well. The pots won’t hold it forever,

27. gas furnace says:

Hi,
    I am very impressed with this post….It gives the great idea and very useful for me..Thanks a lot.Have a nice day…….

28. Great way to improvise! This would make a great heater for outdoors when camping or sitting out out on a deck during colder weather. Of course if one does not have the ability to create and maintain a fire, this is a productive substitute. Thanks for sharing your idea!

29. Pingback: The Candle Heater: Heat the Room Your in for Spare Change | Sustainablog

30. Pingback: are you obsessively cheap? do you squeak when you walk? - Page 4 - UK Motorbike Forum

31. Pingback: Cut Your Heating Bill & Carbon Emissions with a DIY Candle Heater | Quiet Solar Energy