I am intrigued by the Global Eco Village Network!
“The Global Ecovillage Network is a global confederation of people and communities that meet and share their ideas, exchange technologies, develop cultural and educational exchanges, directories and newsletters, and are dedicated to restoring the land and living “sustainable plus” lives by putting more back into the environment than we take out. “
GEN members include large networks such as:
- EcoYoff and Colufifa (350 villages in Senegal)
- Sarvodaya (11,000 sustainable villages in Sri Lanka)
- the Ladakh project on the Tibetian plateau
- ecotowns like Auroville in South India
- the Federation of Damanhur in Italy
- Nimbin in Australia
- small rural ecovillages like Gaia Asociación in Argentina and Huehuecoyotl, Mexico
- urban rejuvenation projects like Los Angeles EcoVillage and Christiania in Copenhagen
- permaculture design sites such as Crystal Waters, Australia, and Cochabamba, Bolivia and Barus, Brazil
- educational centers such as Findhorn in Scotland, Centre for Alternative Technology in Wales, and Earthlands in Massachusetts.
GEN’s main aim is to “support and encourage the evolution of sustainable settlements across the world”, together by:
- providing internal and external communications services.
- facilitating the flow and exchange of information about ecovillages and demonstration sites.
- networking and project coordination in fields related to sustainable settlements.
- aiding in global cooperation/partnerships (UN Best Practices, EU Phare, EYFA, Ecosoc).
Learn more about GEN’s educational and youth opportunities here.