Building Design and Construction recently published a white paper on the effects of green building on climate change. Included in the paper were 22 specific action items that building designers can put into action today to address climate change.
Here are a few of them:
1. Write out your firm’s position and actions on climate change and include this in RFPs and all your marketing information.
2. Quantify and document the emissions that have been mitigated by your company.
3. Use the many resources available on the internet for energy savings and emissions reduction ideas.
4. Focus on more high-density developments, using transit systems, mixed-use buildings, and more compact site planning.
5. Step up commissioning efforts in existing commercial and industrial buildings.
6. Promote safe bicycling and walking through land-use planning, zoning, and transportation system design.
7. Inform clients of opportunities to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions through design and materials selections.
8. Conduct water use audits of existing buildings, especially those that have high water use figures.
9. Start now. The sooner, the better.
All 22 tips and more information on the research conducted can be found at BD&Cs website.