At 900,000 sq. ft., the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation campus currently under construction in the city of Seattle will be one of Washington’s largest green office campuses. The finished headquarters complex will include two six-story office-buildings and a state-of-the-art visitor center.
- an energy efficient, under-floor ventilation system
- heating and cooling systems that utilize natural air cooling and thermal energy storage, and
- a rainwater collection and storage system that will provide water for most of the campus’ non-potable applications, including irrigation of the landscaping
The headquarters’ parking garage (owned by the Seattle Center) has already been completed, and features a green roof that covers more than an acre, making it the city’s largest. Rainwater irrigation will also be used for this roof.
The campus is scheduled to open in late 2010.
Image Credit: The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
To read more about green office buildings, see:
- Green Building Tour: Genzyme Center on Green Building Elements
- Platinum LEED 19th Century Building on Green Building Elements
- LEED Double Platinum for Construction Offices on Green Building Elements