Green Design meka cob cottage interior design

Published on April 9th, 2009 | by ziggy

The Most Beautiful Green Home Building Construction Project Ever?

My jaw dropped when I first watched this video tour of a beautiful owner-built green building construction project in Oregon. This particular green building is made entirely out of cob, a mixture of clay, sand, and straw.

Meka Bunch of Wolf Creek, Oregon built this stunning cob house over a four year period. Complete with hand-sculpted furniture, shelves and nooks built directly into the walls, arched windows, and a killer custom staircase, his cob building is a divine artistic achievement.

Check out the video and photos of Meka’s cob cottage for yourself:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/v/rLf8J7k69j0&hl=en&fs=1]

This couch is made of cob and features wood storage tucked underneath, right next to the stove.

The kitchen features many shelves and nooks built directly into the cob walls, and also includes a small compost chute. (Look for the tilted latch.)

The wood stove is surrounded by cob for thermal mass, and includes a warm nook with shelf to culture yogurt.

Gorgeous custom-made cob staircase.

The north porch of Meka’s cob cottage.

I must say that Meka’s cob house design is one of my favorite projects that I’ve seen. This is truly a beautiful hand-built green building.

For more information, visit the Artisan Builders Collective.

Learn how you can create your own cob building projects.

Learn more about green construction jobs at an ecovillage.

(Image credit: Artisan Builders Collective)

Tags: , , , ,

About the Author

I'm a 26-year-old currently living at Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage in northeast Missouri, an intentional community devoted to sustainable living and culture change. Things you might find me doing here (other than blogging) are building with natural materials, gardening, beekeeping, making cheese, candlemaking, and above all else, living simply. You can read about my on-going natural building projects at: http://www.small-scale.net/yearofmud

42 Responses to The Most Beautiful Green Home Building Construction Project Ever?

1. Jenny says:

This house is amazing. My fiance and I have been planning to build our own house from cob, I hope it turns out as beautiful as this one :)

2. Jenny says:

3. Lucy says:

Wow! This is an amazing space! How beautiful, the little nooks remind me of a little swiss house perched on a cliff I saw once. Thanks for sharing, the music on the video is so great too :)

4. Lucy says:

5. That’s awesome..The house is just like an abode and its eco-friendly construction makes it all the more great. My congratulations to the owner for this beautiful creation.

For those like me who lack such resources and the creative imagination, there are environmental friendly residential steel buildings.

Thanks!
    Kirk J. Steel

6. That’s awesome..The house is just like an abode and its eco-friendly construction makes it all the more great. My congratulations to the owner for this beautiful creation.

Thanks!
    Kirk J. Steel

7. xuamina says:

Not beautiful. Fucking horrible.

8. xuamina says:

Not beautiful. Fucking horrible.

9. Alice Greener says:

This is a nice cob house! Not sure why the Ed. has picked it as “THE MOST” beautiful ever… But it is really nice. I like how small it is, conservative on space.

10. Alice Greener says:

11. Alice Greener says:

Also, not trying to be negative, but there is one big mistake in the reporting: the article says “This particular green building is made entirely out of cob..”. It has wood beam supports and a wooded upper floor. So… Not “entirely”. Almost entirely.

Can you build a loft out of cob? I didn’t think it was safe, but would like to know if anyone has or has seen it done.

Once again, great place!

12. Alice Greener says:

Once again, great place!

13. Ray-ray says:

You go girl! Nice to she something so down to earth. Your carbon footprint would be undetectable through the lens on a microscope compaired to most houses. Simple, smart, practical design and what should become manditory ecofriendly building. I want to be there but I’m stuck in the rat race. Oh well.

14. Ray-ray says:

15. Brian says:

Note: I should have said the walls are made entirely of cob. Sorry for the confusion.

16. Brian says:

17. kate says:

This is definately one of the most beautiful cozy adobeish place i’ve ever seen.Just what I want to create.

18. kate says:

19. Pingback: Sustainable Ecovillage Community in Nick News’ A Kid Off The Grid : Planetsave

20. My husband Peter and I took an excellent natural building class from Meka last year at the Regenerative Design Institute in Bolinas, California. He is a great teacher and really knows his stuff.

Here is a link to some photos from the two day class: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhondawinter/sets/72157608425526230/

21. My husband Peter and I took an excellent natural building class from Meka last year at the Regenerative Design Institute in Bolinas, California. He is a great teacher and really knows his stuff.

22. Pingback: Cob Houses: Building Green With Mud and Straw | The Greenest Dollar

23. Wendy says:

I am a modernist to the core, but find myself so drawn to these beautiful, warm, cozy spaces, full of light and air, with attention to such wonderful details and I find myself enchanted. I am new to cob but want to explore more as the idea of cob modern is tickling my fancy. And this house is an inspiration.

24. Wendy says:

25. dainius says:

labai grazu ir saunu (LT)

26. dainius says:

labai grazu ir saunu (LT)

27. It is a wonderful dream in any place where earth exists. I am making something similar in tropical mountain. (Es un sueño maravilloso en cualquier lugar donde exista tierra. Estoy haciendo algo similar en montaña tropical).

28. It is a wonderful dream in any place where earth exists. I am making something similar in tropical mountain. (Es un sueño maravilloso en cualquier lugar donde exista tierra. Estoy haciendo algo similar en montaña tropical).

29. sal says:

i don’t know .. those stairs don’t look like they meet code .. ;-)

30. sal says:

i don’t know .. those stairs don’t look like they meet code .. ;-)

31. tymmid says:

This article inspired me to buy a old beat up 20 foot self contained travel trailer and remodel it using cob.when done im planning for off grid solar and propane setup for permanent living. Portable energy efficient living 4 cheap.

32. tymmid says:

33. KimAnne says:

This is soooo amazing, great job! I have a friend that lives in Wolf Creek, perfect place for this home!

34. KimAnne says:

35. Pingback: Wir wollen ein Haus bauen! :) « Meeresbande – Haus

36. Lon Encarnacion says:

How about the toilet & bath? What amenities are in Meka’s restroom?

37. Zubair Ahmed says:

Wow! very creative! this is an inspiring site.

Zah
    classifieds

38. buy vaniqa says:

Hi, thank you for sharing this great info. Was just browsing through the net in my office and happened upon your blog. It is really very well written and quit comprehensive in explaining with a very simple language.

39. Jennifer says:

beautiful beautiful beautiful!!!!  I want one!!!  You dic a great job…….wow.

40. Pingback: Cob Creations: 18 Natural Homes, Pizza Ovens & More | WebEcoist

41. Pingback: Một trong những ngôi nhà xanh đẹp nhất từ trước tới nay! | nhadepxanh