Green Design home-dome_erpo1_481

Published on February 26th, 2009 | by Jerry James Stone

411

12-year-old Makes Homeless Shelter from Trash

[social_buttons]

Well, this is a bit of fresh air, especially with tween news like Baby-Faced Boy Alfie Patten Is Dad At 13.

12-year-old Max Wallack stole the show at Design Squad’s Trash to Treasure contest with his “Home Dome.” The contest asked kids to repurpose trash into practical inventions.

I wonder if the Home Dome gets an honorable LEED Certification?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/v/oJAaMQuEFl8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1]

The dome provides shelter for the homeless and is made from plastic, wire, packing peanuts, and flargstin. Pretty much, trash.

The trash-plex looks like a Mongolian yurt, and let Max walk away with $10,000 and a Dell laptop. He also got a trip to Boston out of it. But Max had this to say, “I don’t really care about the money. I care about helping people.”

This isn’t his first big win. “When I was six,” Max said, “I won an invention contest that included a trip to Chicago. While there, I saw homeless people living on streets, and beneath highways and underpasses. I felt very sorry for these people, and ever since then, felt that my goal and obligation was to find a way to help them. My invention improves the living conditions for homeless people, refugees, or disaster victims by giving them easy-to-assemble shelter.”

Go Max! We all look forward to your future inventions.

Source and Photo:  thedesignblog.org

BLACK WORKERS FACED HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT, COMMISSION DECIDES

The Herald News – Joliet (IL) July 14, 1999 The federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission determined that 10 black employees who filed a discrimination suit against a Rockdale company in March were working in a hostile environment. The decision of the EEOC district director was based on alleged racially hostile and offensive graffiti at Apollo Colors, as well as racially derogatory comments, jokes and remarks; the presence of racially threatening symbols and racially motivated attacks on personal and company property. in our site hostile work environment

Company officials now have 14 days from the July 7 order to decide whether to settle the EEOC claim, said Bobbi Petrungaro, an attorney representing the 10 employees.

Apollo officials plan to talk to the EEOC about a settlement, said John Ott, the company’s human resources manager.

He didn’t know what a settlement would entail.

Ott also said the company’s position is that management had nothing to do with the alleged incidents.

The EEOC didn’t specifically name any supervisors or managers, Ott said.

He added that the company has been responsive to discrimination complaints, including conducting employee meetings, requiring diversity training for its supervisors and managers and even soliciting the help of Rockdale police and the FBI to help find the person or persons responsible. go to site hostile work environment

He said there have been no recent cases or complaints of discrimination at the plant, which employs about 200 people, including 170 non-managers.

“I don’t think we’re talking about a large number of people who would have been involved with this,” Ott added.

Rockdale Police Chief Richard Baum said company officials had called them out more than a dozen times to investigate.

Because of the pending lawsuit, he didn’t want to say what they found.

“But obviously, there was a reason for us to come back 12 times,” he said. He said it’s difficult to find whomever is involved because the division where the incidents are occurring has 170 people.

“And you can’t interview 170 people,” he said.

The only other recourse, he said, is a lie detector test.

Not only are the results of those tests inadmissible in court, Baum said, but he believes whomever is responsible wouldn’t cooperate anyway.

But Baum added company officials have done everything they can to prevent the incidents from recurring.

“But obviously there have been more,” he said, “and there probably will continue to be more.” Petrungaro said the federal lawsuit and the EEOC complaints still target the company as a whole.

She maintains supervisors and managers allowed the hostile work environment to exist.

Meanwhile, the federal discrimination suit was put on hold until Aug. 20 to see how the EEOC claim comes out, she added.

That lawsuit alleges that the company failed to erase the acronym “KKK” from highly visible areas or remove nooses that had been hung in conspicuous places in the Rockdale plant.

The lawsuit also accuses the company of discriminating against the 10 employees because of their race, by denying them transfers or raises. Petrungaro said the EEOC did not respond to that portion of the claim.

Petrungaro said one employee was added to the lawsuit since it was filed in March.

Of those employees, six still work for the company and three resigned.

One, who suffered from a medical condition and was repeatedly disciplined for missing work, was eventually fired, the lawsuit said.

Apollo Colors manufacturers organic pigments and flushed colors for the printing ink industry.

Tags: , ,

About the Author

is a web developer, part-time blogger, and a full-time environmentalist. His crusade for all things eco started twenty years ago when he ditched his meat-and-potatoes upbringing for something more vegetarian-shaped. His passions include cooking, green tech, eco politics, and smart green design. And while he doesn't own a car anymore, he loves to write about those too. Jerry studied at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. During his time there he was a DJ at the campus station KCPR and he also wrote for the campus paper. Jerry currently resides in San Francisco, CA with his cat Lola. You can stalk him on Twitter @jerryjamesstone.

411 Responses to 12-year-old Makes Homeless Shelter from Trash

1. Angela says:

I will be using this info one day to make a nice little storage shed for our home, well my husband will at least. Probably one for his mom as well. We pickup pallets and shipping crates from the industrial buildings near where he works all the time to use for things. Some of them are absolutely beautiful pieces. We’ve made wagons, toy chests and planters out of them already.

2. Angela says:

3. Pingback: 12-year-old Makes Homeless Shelter from Trash » Truth Slap

4. sparky poage says:

Creative re-use of pallets. However, in my industry, shippers and businesses re use and repair pallets. Many shippers demand an equal exchange of pallets for the number of pallets of product delivered. When surplus pallets accrue, there are other businesses that bid to buy your surplus, and of course, there are thieves out there who will steal any stack of pallets they see. Good of you to advise people to ask permission before taking pallets!

5. sparky poage says:

6. Rusty says:

Talk, Talk, Talk. If you are waiting on people’s good will and descensy to kick in, you’ll be left out in the cold.
    You want something to change? Focus on the cost. The majority of us would rather pay less then save the environment. (Now think about it before you say ‘Not me’).
    Those few of you who care more about the environment than spending less money out of pocket are as numerous as black voters who voted for John McCain. You are a very small minority. (No pun intended).
    NOW, how do you have your cake and eat it too? Make environmental friendly ‘stuff’ cheap.
    No one cares whether it’s wrong or right. We’re Americans. You want our attention, tell us how we can save money by doing it you way.

7. Laura says:

Hilarious! Look at that lonely window off in the corner. What function does that serve?

P.S. I sincerely love vitriol, don’t change a thing.

8. Laura says:

P.S. I sincerely love vitriol, don’t change a thing.

9. LDV says:

I think people who put up huge mansions should be made to make them super energy efficient & install solar panels since they take up as much space that could house a number of families & use more energy.

The only way renewable energy is going to be affordable for regular people is if the rich buy so much the price comes down. They can afford it – they’re rich. hmmm… maybe these CEOs making millions a year can cough up some solar panels & wind farms to help reduce our dependence on the Middle East. Time for a consumer cartel !!

10. Dan says:

Why is this guy getting any credit for this desing? The Mexicans have been building this type of house in Mexico since shipping pallets were invented.

11. LDV says:

12. Dan says:

13. hahaha says:

The first mistake was building more homes in the Great Lakes area. Anyone dumb enough to purchase one in that area must like being cold. They have no reason to complain if they buy it.

14. hahaha says:

15. charles king says:

Do you really think anyone other than a homeless person is going to make and live in one of these? When you get moved in, call me, I’d love to see how your making it.

16. charles king says:

17. AJ Butler says:

I’ve been reusing pallets for years, working in the trucking industry, but never thought of using pallets fot exterior projects., Great idea!

18. AJ Butler says:

19. TOMASH says:

I HAVE SEEN ROOM ADDITIONS 15 YRS. AGO THAT WERE PALLET CONSTRUCTION. UNFORTUNATLY THEY WERE NOT IN THE BEST PART OF TOWN. REMEMBER VERTICAL SLATS @ WALLS AND HORIZ. @ ROOF FOR A GOOD SHEATHING ATTACHMENT.

20. TOMASH says:

21. Criton says:

Only an idiot would live in a house made of toxic chemically treated pallets.

22. Criton says:

Only an idiot would live in a house made of toxic chemically treated pallets.

23. David Yell says:

Could you tell me where I could get a copy of these plans? I am not able to print from this website.
    I love the plans and would love to build one.

24. Kevin says:

Susan,

There are definitely some easy things that can be done, but the majority of people don’t want to live in neighborhoods that completely disregard setbacks and the required street orientation of production homes. It will take a completely novel subdivision or neighborhood to give your movement any momentum. You’ve got to heat AND cool a home, so here in Arizona, a lack of big windows and hiding from the sun are a good thing.

Chances are the home is well insulated, since the snow on the roof inboard of the eves hasn’t melted.

My main point is that you’re not going to see energy efficiency or grand new ideas from traditional production homes.

I have to agree with the person above (below?) — your vitriol makes us think that the energy efficiency is not your main problem with this home.

25. Kevin says:

Susan,

26. Sheryl says:

Awesome – I printed this down for future reference. In todays world it pays to be prepared. You should send this to Oprah for those people in tent cities. Some of them have been there for more than a year and I understand the mayor is looking to make that legal and give them some help to make it more permanent.

27. Sheryl says:

28. B says:

One has only to drive through the countryside, looking at old farmhouses. There is a reason the evergreen trees are usually planted on the north side of the house, with one or more large deciduous trees on the south (to provide shade in the summer, and let the sun through in the winter). Architects seemingly fail to consider the impact of the elements in design. I see more and more houses with one or no windows on the south side. I suppose that is so that the AC does not have to run all summer. Why not simply leave some of the nice trees and use them for the purposes our ancestors knew about and did not need an architect!

29. B says:

30. Connie T. says:

That ‘anon’ poster that said lose the vitriol obviously has no sense of humor or courage for that matter since they didn’t include their name with their comment. I thought it was funny! Keep up the vitriol!

31. Connie T. says:

32. Rita says:

What a fantastic idea! With the cost of food going up, and the need to become more self sufficient in every way, I can see how this would be a great and inexpensive idea for building a chicken coop to raise your own food.

Rita

33. Rita says:

Rita

34. valls says:

I didn’t think this was vitriolic at all! Quite mild, in fact. Great humor, keep it up!

35. Lauren says:

Freakin Hilaaarious. love your truth-bearing sarcasm…

I live up the hill from an ex-apple-farm turned McMansion-ville and had the honor of witnessing how these puppies are built… that is to say AFTER they rape, pillage & destroy the hundreds of acres of “natural” land that they plop these bad-boys on.

Wow is the only word I can think of for the price tag attached to such poorly constructed & intuitive-less built homes.

What rhymes with McMansion? unconscious

great post!

36. valls says:

37. Lauren says:

Freakin Hilaaarious. love your truth-bearing sarcasm…

What rhymes with McMansion? unconscious

great post!

38. Dan says:

I have an idea; one could build a house out of discarded Garage Doors….

39. Dan says:

I have an idea; one could build a house out of discarded Garage Doors….

40. Dan says:

Why is this guy getting any credit for this desing. The Mexicans have been building this type of house in Mexico since shipping pallets were invented.

I have an idea; one could build a house out of discarded Garage Doors…

41. Dan says:

I have an idea; one could build a house out of discarded Garage Doors…

42. lee says:

alot of companies get money back on those pallets, so make sure before hauling them away.

43. lee says:

44. Susan says:

I would have loved a yurt but when I looked into them after I lost my home in hurricane Ivan on Pensacola Beach a yurt is considered a temporary shelter just as a tent is and therefore I could not build a yurt. Same thing happened again after hurricane Katrina and I lost my home in Long Beach, MS. I could not build a yurt on the land. So unless you live in BFE you can’t build a yurt. I love them and have build one for each of my 3 children, my sister and myself; such a shame. If you have land and there are no such codes you should definitely have a yurt.

45. Susan says:

46. ashleigh says:

i think this is logical and observical

47. ellie-may connell says:

2 say its nce n doesnt he a hme ths well sad if he doesnt

48. ellie-may connell says:

2 say its nce n doesnt he a hme ths well sad if he doesnt

49. Shely says:

My husband has been collecting the LONG pallets for a few months now.The company next door to my work gets siding in on them.They are in VERY good shape.My boss laughed at my husband when he was out there throwing them over the fence.The company said he could take all he wanted.When my boss found out he had tore them apart and built him a lil shop out of them he to started goin and taken the pallets. Wish more people would put their brains to work and do the same thing.Would save the landfills and the pocket books..
    We even have enough to build the rafters for our house.:-) YEA!

50. Shely says:

We even have enough to build the rafters for our house.:-) YEA!