Green Design

Published on May 9th, 2008 | by Keith Rockmael

First 100% Off-Grid Green Building in San Francisco

kids-center.jpgIn San Francisco, some well financed and publicized condo projects like the Arterra spend big marketing dollars to push its LEED – NC status (wonder why they didn’t shoot for LEED on its other project the Hayes?) while the EcoCenter at Heron’s Head Park LEED certified facility opened in relative obscurity.

This landmark youth education facility and environmental center sits smack in the Bayview Hunters Point neighborhood right next to the former PG & E power plant. Of all the areas in SF this area truly needs the Green building support. We’re psyched to report that the EcoCenter marks the first 100% off-grid green building in San Francisco, and boasts features that set the bar high for green building.

Some of the condo and office developers should take a look at this baby with its solar panels and a wind tribune that will meet all electricity demands of the building, not to mention the wastewater treatment system that utilizes a series of wetland cells and ultraviolet sterilization lamps to treat wastewater and recycle treated water for landscape irrigation, as well as the Green living roof that will reduce building needs for heating and cooling, provide retention of storm water on site for reuse, and encourage wildlife habitat.

Those of you more into the engineering will appreciate the Structurally Insulated Panels (SIPs) that will provide high-energy efficiency and strength in the walls and roof as well as seismic support and fire resistance. We couldn’t be happier to see how they used native landscaping (what no lawn?) to conserve water, eliminate synthetic fertilizers and pesticides, and encourage education around native plant propagation. Really, is that so hard?

The EcoCenter, designed by Toby Long Design and Clever Homes, and built by the LORAX Development team, came to fruition with funding by various grants from SF Environment, the Coastal Conservancy, and numerous foundations, including the Stewardship Council, the Richard and Rhoda Goldman Fund, the Live Oak Fund of Horizons Foundation, Mitchell Kapor Foundation, Walter & Elise Haas Fund and Flora Family Foundation.

Even more impressive than the grant list or the green building attributes remains the fact that it will bring Green awareness to an area sorely lacking in education about the environment. Visitors and local youth can learn about clean air and water, safe energy, healthy food, non-toxic homes and schools, open space restoration, and equitable education and employment.

Now that’s something to publicize.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

About the Author

Living in progressively Green San Francisco, Keith Rockmael works in Commercial Real Estate, Leasing and Business Opportunities with a special interest in Green Real Estate and Green Businesses. He also works with restaurants and bars in helping them to Green their businesses. Please contact him regarding health, business, environment or Green finance questions or referrals. He maintains his own blog at Greenerati.com. Contact him at: pepeflaco@gmail.com

12 Responses to First 100% Off-Grid Green Building in San Francisco

1. alex says:

Hey! Thanks for all the great info. I was browsing through a bunch of green websites and blogs and I came across yours and found it very interesting. There are a bunch of others I like too, like the daily green, ecorazzi and earthlab.com. I especially like EarthLab.com’s carbon calculator (http://www.earthlab.com/signupprofile/). I find it really easy to use (it doesn’t make me feel guilty after I take it). Are there any others you would recommend? Can you drop me a link to your favorites (let me know if they are the same as mine).

2. alex says:

3. We have several very nice environmental education centers in Central Florida but none is off the grid. This is a tremendous achievement!

4. We have several very nice environmental education centers in Central Florida but none is off the grid. This is a tremendous achievement!

5. sean says:

this is a great milestone for clean living but you cant help but notice that the price tag is vacant from the story , i guess the long list of donars says it all. thank you for starting the ball rolling!
    SC

6. sean says:

SC

7. fornetti says:

I do not believe this

8. fornetti says:

I do not believe this

9. K says:

I can care less about the environment of a bunch of dudes who want some stupid noose around our necks from 9 to 5.. If you could care less about the environment of my neck then that is your perrogative, but you better not think I should be some chepa monkey in your system of stratification.

The regimes who reward those who seek such violent strangleholds should not be rewarded with economic and politicool privledge. They should be placed on probation for starters.

10. K says: